After you open the app and sign in, Discord will prompt you to set up your first server. Here’s how:
- Click Create My Own
- Click For me and my friends
- This option means you intend to create a private server, and mean to give access only to invited users. The other option is to create a “Community Server,” which openly lists your server to the public for those interested to join on their own accord
- Give your server a name, then upload an image as its icon
- Name: I recommend your course title and subtitle so that students can easily access it
- Image: I suggest using your college/university logo for the same reason as above
- Click Create
Voila! You just created your first Discord server.
Keep it up and you’ll be up and running with a class server in no time at all.
- Discord Help Center is a search portal for Discord server support.
- Beginner’s Guide to Discord explains the terminology of Discord’s feature set.
- How to Use Discord for Your Classroom covers how to use servers as a fully online classroom.